Tuesday 27 May 2014

BANK HOLIDAYS


Bank Holidays- an official day off from paid, from routine duties and chores. A day for families to spend quality time together in leisurely pursuits.

The official definition:- { a public holiday in the UK, commonwealth countries, other European countries like Switzerland. Before 1834 the Bank of England observed 33 Saints / religious days. From 1834 this was cut down to 4. Until 1871 when a Liberal politician introduced the Bank Holiday Act under which it was declared that no person is compelled to make payment nor act if he is not compelled to do so. Although today, 2014, there is no automatic right to time off paid or in lieu. Even though most banks and places of employment grant the time off.}

For me a 50+ divorced, separated, single, ex- mother of 4, grandmother of 4 - l say ex-mother as my off spring are all grown and have fled the nest.  For me Bank Holidays mean silent, solitude, where l see no-one, speak to no-one, go no where- (usually due to lack of funds and transport).

A time to become an unwashed, unkempt, recluse in my secure box which also becomes an un-cleaned hovel.

There is a sense of freedom and rebellion in being able, in this day and age, to remain in the same clothes- usually pyjamas for more than one day. Don't get me wrong, l do wash my face, clean my teeth and brush my unwashed, greasy hair every morning, but l don't change my clothes- none of them. Why?

Because l don't have to, because l don't want to, because l don't need to and because l can't be bothered!  What's the point in creating unnecessary work and laundry.

Being a bank holiday recluse is kind of fun, it is lonely not speaking to anyone but  with the wonders of technology a recluse can "chat on line" to an array of people in a variety of locations and indeed countries. I have a virtual friend whom I've "chatted" to for years in Australia, we've never met but know each other well.

Bank holidays are for me days to spend continual time on one hobby/ activity without interruption, without clock watching, without the routine of having to make, lunch, tea, supper. Yes being a bank holiday recluse means l eat, drink, clean and wash when l want- if l want!  I can use a different plate and the same cup everyday at every meal without 'having to' wash up. The floors can remain littered with crumbs, craft debris and rubbish- at the moment the kitchen and hallway are covered in talcum powder which was liberally spread to stop the invasion of ants l had the other day. And as l have 3 cats and a dog, there are now white foot prints everywhere as well.

As a bank holiday recluse its okay because no one will know, no one will see. The front door remains fully locked and door curtain remains closed- shutting out the outside world.

Tomorrow - normal life returns, routine, clock watching, paid employment, engagement in speech, physical contact with people l know and don't know. My silent solitude will end. I will thoroughly clean and restore my home, l will thoroughly bathe and restore me. I will re-join civilisation and real life until the next Bank Holiday.



No comments:

Post a Comment